CorruptedHeart: I was wondering if it would be better for this page to be broken up into multiple smaller pages, using the subsections as the new pages and then linking to the new pages from this main page?
- As much as I agree, I also think it's great to have one big list you can search through so if it's decided to make individual articles for each section we should also make an article listing all the scripts available.--The IT 19:05, 27 October 2010 (PDT)
While I'm at it, I'll suggest we start a similar system to the one implemented for Guild Wars builds.
The idea is each script is rated as either Testing, Meta, Good or Great depending on the quality of the script including such things as popularity, support, comments, performance etc. If anyone agrees with this idea we can further discuss the details.--The IT 19:13, 27 October 2010 (PDT)
So somebody has just taken the initiative and performed the page split suggested a year ago, and it looks fantastic.
Jarringly, though, it's suddenly so much more difficult to use. Having all the scripts on one page was ugly, but thanks to the great descriptions for each listing you could simply CTRL+F for whatever you want. Being able to do that mitigated the problem of some scripts being difficult to categorise, since searching the page meant it didn't matter which heading they were under. With today's change it might sometimes be necessary to check multiple categories for a script which may or may not exist, or every category one by one for hard-to-categorise entries or for newbies who may not know exactly where something would fall when searching for it for the first time (which is when scripts are useful!).
I think some implementation of a "all" category would be a good compromise for retaining the old page's functionality. For the moment though I'm in the middle of a project so I think I'll just have to use an old revision. Rplieri 05:35, 11 October 2011 (PDT)
- I fully agree the original layout was ugly (hence why I changed it). I can't see how this layout would be harder for people to navigate, the script were already placed in categories all I did was split them into separate pages, which should make it better for people to find the script they need, especially newbies. Remember not all scripts have been placed on the script index (some people just haven't bothered) specific categories can be found here all categories but again not everyone has included categories in there pages. If people do think it's harder to navigate the script index than before feel free to revert it back to the original. TomoI 06:12, 11 October 2011 (PDT)
- I think I explained pretty well why it's now less convenient to use, but to put it another way: there's now an additional step between arriving on the scripts page and finding the script you want. Previously you could search the page, now you must first decide which category subpage to check (which is not necessarily straightforward for users new to Unity or new to 3D concepts in general), or check multiple pages.
- I'm not advocating reversion; I think a comprehensive full list in addition to the subpages is a better solution, but I'll leave the best way to do that up to people who know mediawiki better. Rplieri 08:08, 11 October 2011 (PDT)#
- I get your meaning now.TomoI 03:49, 13 October 2011 (PDT)