Porting a shader
From Unify Community Wiki
Revision as of 19:56, 23 December 2008 by Tgraupmann
- This document aims to provide some guidelines for porting shaders between FX composer, RenderMonkey, Mental Mill, ShaderFX, and Unity3d. Porting shaders is a manual process. But most of the work is just copy paste. And there are some slight semantic differences on each platform.
- There are several applications that facilitate shader development and prototyping:
- ShaderFX - A max plugin capable of exporting to FX composer. Similar to Mental Mill to be used by artists.
- FX Composer - NVIDIA's shader development application
- Mental Mill - An artist shader development application bundled with FX Composer similar to ShaderFX, but in a free flavor.
- RenderMonkey - ATI's shader development application
- Unity - Our target shader platform