The Whirld project aims to create a simple, elegant, standardized world format - complete with supporting libraries - for utilization by Unity games. Whirld worlds are a similar concept to asset bundles - but being an open format, they will not need to be created using the Unity editor.
The Whirld project has a companion topic @ the Unity Forum
- Being an (unofficial) community standard, this project will dramatically increase the value of existing and future Unity games by providing them with a near infinite variety of ready made worlds created by various game communities.
- Being open and free, this project will inspire innovation in the next generation of developers: the ones who are currently playing games. What better way to interest creative minds in game development than by providing them with a free toolset to create their own worlds for all their favorite Unity games?
- Being simple and easy to use, this project will encourage the development of Unity games. Imagine the excitement of dropping a library into your project, and instantly having access to a huge variety of ready made worlds!
- Aubrey is working on a base library and editor panel for generating BZW worlds inside Unity in order to gain experience for defining the best possible custom Unity world format.
- Define the world format: This phase involves researching existing game world definition formats, and combining the best practices of each into a simple, flexible, cohesive standard to be utilized by many different types of Unity games.
- Create the library to load worlds: This library will be included in published games, and will be able to generate primitive shapes, meshes, terrain objects, game specific prefabs, etc in a scene from the data contained in a world file.
- Create a system to export Unity scenes as worlds: The inverse of phase 2, this system will be an editor script to export a Unity scene to a world file.
- Create systems to build worlds outside the Unity editor: Plugins for popular modeling applications such as Blender, or even a complete world design application written in Unity are all within the realm of possibility! This phase is where the communities of Unity games transition from passive consumers to budding creative developers - increasing the value of Unity games, and at the same time enriching their own lives.