I monitor all changes to this wiki via the RSS feed, and I notice that you keep moving unity-tutorials.com to the top of the list on the tutorials page. If I recall correctly, a while ago there was even an edit war over the relative placements of this site and another similarly-named one. Given that unity-tutorials is a commercial interest, I don't think that is an appropriate way to treat the wiki as it amounts to free advertising at the expense of others.
That's not to say that I don't think the site deserves a link, or that commercial sites generally shouldn't be linked, just that I want to see fairness and transparency in how the linkage is managed. So, on that note, are you responsible for or a beneficiary of the unity-tutorials site? What is your reason for bringing the link to the top of the list?
At any rate, my thought is that maybe this page should be divided clearly into commercial and non-commercial sections, and each section should be alphabetically sorted by site name so that the order is not subject to the priorities of particular users. Annotations on the page would direct users to add their site in the right place, and admin users can ensure that it is done correctly. To enable the linkees to make their own site stand out in the list, maybe the list should be a table with a space for each site to provide a uniformly-sized logo banner. It'd probably make the whole thing neater and easier for readers to use, too.
What do you think?
Your friendly admin, NCarter 15:38, 25 May 2011 (PDT)
- The only reason I keep moving it up is because it's the website I primarily use for education and I noticed other websites doing the same with theirs at various points. (Fair play?) In the end, I think the tutorials section tends to be a bit over-filled and I just don't think the other sites are quite as good.
- I'm not quite sure alphabetical would be the fairest, as anyone who uses "Unity" as their primary word would end up at the bottom. I'm obviously biased as unity-tutorials is the one I'm rooting for, though.
- So unity-tutorials.com isn't your own site and you're not affiliated with it in any way? --NCarter 00:02, 26 May 2011 (PDT)
- Well, let me be honest here. I've written a testimonial for the site and I've submitted content to it. Still, I support it because I believe it contains the best tutorials out there. I wouldn't have moved it at all, but the web designer for the page is a friend of mine and he asked me to move it.
- OK, thanks for clearing that up. I'll leave it alone for now and look at improving the layout of the page when I have some time. --NCarter 15:47, 26 May 2011 (PDT)