Welcome to the UniKnowledge contest information page. Here you can find all the information you need to join the contest and send your project. The contest deadline has been extended to October 14!
After chatting some time on the #unity3d IRC channel about the sample projects provided by Unity Tech, and discussing that they should release more projects with less media, and that simple primitives would be enough to show us how things work... "dock" had the idea of a community-driven contest, in order to choose the best sample project.
Then, i decided to organize and promote UniKnowledge. This contest consists of, basically, building an easy-to-understand and well-documented sample game project for Unity users. You don't need to worry about media, you can just use primitives. The important thing is that you create the prototype and teach well: from brainstorming, to game logic and programming.
How it works
As i said before, you don't have to worry about media. We are focusing on game logic and structure here. The objective here is to develop the best sample project, not the best game. This means that you have to:
- Focus on the gameplay structure of the project
- Make it playable. Play the prototype yourself and see if it plays good, smoothly
- Explain everything you did, and how to reproduce that
- You can use everything to aid the teaching process: videos, presentations, images, etc.
- Comment your code!
- Explain how and why things work
The best projects will be voted by the community (poll on Unity Forums), and the criteria must be:
- How well the project was presented
- How well the projects plays
- How documented the project is
- How accessible the information is
- How easy to use, understand and learn from, the sample is
Bubble Burster by Lab013 http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=192887#192887
Unity Networking by Leepo http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=201796#201796
Soccer Game by TimViana (disqualified for cheating) http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=206970#206970
Car Tutorial by Maxwelldoggums http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=207464#207464
Evac City in Unity by DavidLancaster http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=207511#207511
Constructor Example by Zylex http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=210154#210154
Brizzle Puzzle and Procedural Production by rouhee http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=210598#210598
Trigger Cameras by mcarr1973 http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=212068#212068
Muzzle Flash by free60groups http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=212596#212596
Intergalactic Sheep Pong by Ehren http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=213007#213007
BlockCreator by FlamingHairball http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=213262#213262
The contest winners are:
1st place: Leepo http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=201796#201796
2nd place: rouhee http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=210598#210598
3rd place: Maxwelldoggums http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=207464#207464
We are still looking for sponsors, so this list might be updated soon with more prizes.
- 1st Place:
- Unity Pro OR iPhone Advanced Add-on OR a rebate coupon good for the equivalent value on Unity3d.com web shop
- One custom 3D model made by Stefan Mensen
- One Cheetah3D license
- $150 coupon for the Frogames store
- 12 month subscription to a 3D Total magazine
- $500 coupon for 3DRT.com store
- $50 Cash (because we love the cause)
- 2nd Place:
- 3rd Place:
And, as a participation prize, everyone who submits an eligible entry will get a free issue of one of the 3D Total magazines.
This contest was only made possible because of our sponsors. They donated the prizes and it would be nice if you guys could visit their websites and check their products. Thank you!